Thursday, December 10, 2009

Places in My Heart

Today I’m reminded of some of the imaginings from my past. Some would call them daydreams. More recently, I have come to understand that these were true spiritual experiences. Each have occurred and reoccurred over the years, depending on what was going on in my life and in my heart at the time.

The Tree and The Stream

One of my favorite places is beside a gurgling stream that runs through a beautiful, flower-filled meadow. The sun is always shining there, and the mix of fragrances in the air is both intoxicating and soothing. My favorite tree stands next to the stream. I love to sit down on the fine, light-filled green grass at its feet and lean back against its strong trunk. I notice that some of its roots dip into the stream through the side of the muddy bank. I sometimes dip my toes in the water as it sings past me. Resting under this tree is one of the most peaceful places I know.

Only more recently, after I was enabled to read the Bible and understand it, did I discover in John the disciple’s writing in Revelation 22:1-2…
Then he (an angel) showed me (John) a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

The Garden

Another place that I ran to in my mind, when I needed to escape the noise and frenzy of life, was a beautiful, walled garden. The wall itself is built of uncut stones, like you might see on an English countryside. As I enter through the gate, I first see the marble fountain in the center. I love the sound of the water as it tumbles and splashes down layered tiers similar to those on a wedding cake. To my right is our swing, which hangs under a trellis covered with fragrant, flowered vines. Hummingbirds, bees and butterflies flit and buzz busily all around.

Then I see Him, entering through the gate opposite mine. My heart races and I can barely breathe. I want to run to Him, but I’m frozen in place by His beauty and the waves of love that wash over me. I extend my hand; He walks to me and takes me in His arms. There is no place in heaven or on earth as wonderful as His embrace! I rest against His chest, hear His strong and steady heartbeat, feel the warmth of His presence all around me. He leads me to sit with Him on our swing. I snuggle into His side, no need to speak, although sometimes we do. It’s more than enough to be with Him in this place.

I found the address to my garden in the Song of Solomon, verses 4:12,15; 4:16; and 5:1. The Bridegroom is Jesus, and the Bride is any and every person who truly loves Him… In this garden, the Bride is me…

Bridegroom: A garden locked is my sister, my bride, a rock garden locked, a spring sealed up…You are a garden spring, a well of living water, and streams flowing from Lebanon…

Bride: May my Beloved come into His garden and eat its choice fruits!

Bridegroom: I have come into My garden, my sister, my bride…
These are only two of the places that I would visit, call them daydreams or visions, as you wish. I suspect that there are many people like me, maybe even multitudes, who have similar experiences. Religious voices will try to say that these are not real, only concoctions of weak and fanciful minds. False voices will try to convince that I am reaching too hard to find places in the Bible to support my claims. But I was not involved in Religion when I found these wonderful places of refuge. I was a child when these visits began. Simple and innocent, open to the heart of my Father and His Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment